Monday, October 25, 2010

New York Road Runners Club

Manhattan Half Marathon, #4 of 5 in NYRR Half Marathon Grand Prix Series
August 29, 2004
Time: 1hr 35min 46 sec

Inaugural NYC Half Marathon. August 27, 2006
Time: 1hr 25min 48 sec

Japan Day 4-Mile Race, Central Park, May 31, 2009
Time: 25min 53 sec

The Central Park 150th Birthday race was my only race in 2003.  However, being inspired by Paul and Dr. Laiz, I ran 11 races in 2004 to include the NYC Half Marathon Grand Prix.  This was running a half marathon in each of NYC's five boros (Brookyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island, in that order that year).  I have never ran that many half marathons in one year!  I had so much fun running that year!  In 2005, I decided to run the New York City Marathon with two goals. First, break by 1983 time and second, run it non-stop, since I never did that before.  I was successful with my first goal as I finished in 3:40:31.  I was barely successful with my second goal as I was reduced to a slow trot during the last few miles!  I hurt so bad the next morning that I couldn't even get out of bed!  I couldn't walk normally for at least a week!  I was okay not running another marathon after that!

In 2006, the Inaugural NYC Half Marathon was announced and I wanted to run it.  It was capped at just over 10,000 runners and I signed up immediately!  I trained hard following a plan from the Runner's World website.  This time I also paid attention to my nutrition of getting the right amount of carbohydrates, protein, electrolytes, and fats.  This was something I never even thought about in the past!  The result?  I finished in 1:25:48 and placed 180 out of 10,294 finishers.  Guess what?  This qualified me for guaranteed entry to the 2007 NYC Marathon and so began my passion for the marathon!

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment