Monday, October 25, 2010

College Days

April, 1987 - 60-Mile Guam Perimeter Relay
University of Guam ROTC Team

With my high school coach, Fred Schumann, in Hokkiado, Japan, 1988,
the night before the 8th Chitose & JAL International Marathon.
This was our pre-race meal that was provided as part of our package tour.
Note: No carbs! Well, it came in the form of sushi rolls and udon!

Group photo with runners from the U.S.A. after the race.
Standing L-R is Team Guam: Fred Schumann, Me, Jen Allred

I attended the University of Guam from 1984 - 1988.  I was heavily involved with school, the ROTC program and, well, yeah, partying! I remember Monday night's a 10-4!  Yes, Monday nights!  If you were on Guam then, you know what I'm taking about!  It was a popular dance club and on Monday nights you got two free drinks with your paid admission!  My blogging on that topic ends!  Anyway, with all that going on, I didn't race as much as I did in high school.  I remember being on the ROTC team during the 60-Mile Perimeter Relays every year in college, running a local Ekiden Marathon and other local races.  Ekiden, in Japanese, referes to a long distance relay race.  I remember it rained heavily during my leg and I had to kick my running shoes off because they became so heavy!  It was the only time I ran barefoot during a race!  In 1988, I ran my first off-island race by running the 8th Chitose & JAL International Marathon on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido.  I traveled with Fred Schumman and Jen Allred.  I ran the 10K race in my fastest time at that distance at just under 36 miunutes.  I think Fred ran the marathon and Jen ran the half.  That was an awesome experience!

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment