Monday, October 25, 2010

Guam Running Club

1980 - My first half marathon on Guam.
This is on Marine Drive with 2-3 miles before the finish at Ypao Beach.

1982 - KSTO 13.8-Mile Race

8.6 Mile Ypao Beach Run, September, 1983
Junior Division Record - 53:21. It still stands today!

Plumeria 10K Race, Hagatna, Guam
I think this was either 1983 or 1984.

During the days of no internet, VHS, rotary phones, Walkmans, 8-Track, vinyl records and no cell phones, we were always outside playing, climbing trees, riding our bikes or running!  In addition to running cross country in junior high and high school, I was also a member of the Guam Running Club.  I remember that a lot of us would participate in Saturday morning local races ranging from 5K to 13.1-mile half marathon.  I even competed in the original 60-mile Perimeter Relay that took teams of 10 around the island!  That was a cool race!  As a runner in the Junior Division, I had the opportunity to set two division records.  One of them was for the 1-Hour Run, which is a discontinued race, and the other for the 1983 Two Lover's Point 8.6-Mile Race, which is still stands today!  I also came in first place overall winning the 5.5 Ypao Beach Low Tide Run!  In 1983, I ran the Guam Marathon just to say I ran a marathon!  I thought that with my current racing shape that I would do quite well!  I was even mentioned in the Pacific Daily News that I was one of the main contenders to be one of the top junior runners to cross the finish line!  Well, not for this race!  The junior division winner was Andy Liebert who finished in just over three hours!  Me?  I came in about 47 minutes later in 3:47:05!  Afterwards, I was so drained and told myself, "Never again!"

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment