Monday, October 25, 2010

Corporate America

After 10 1/2 years in the US Army, I joined Corporate America in 1998.  I ran occasionally, but nowhere near of what I used to do.  I gained a few pounds here and there over the following years while working for pharmaceutical giants Pfizer, then Aventis.  I worked in Tennessee, Florida and New York.  While in Tennessee, I enjoyed eating the great southern food!  Well, maybe I enjoyed it too much because within a year, I weighed almost 170 pounds!  Yes!  That's heavy for me!  I remember when I worked for Pfizer in Tennessee, we had our quarterly meeting on a lake in Branson, MO.  We rented boats and waterski equipment and had a blast!  It wasn't until I developed the roll of film (Yup! Digital cameras were still over $10,000!) and saw a picture my friend took of me driving one of the rented boats.  He was behind me to get my point of view of where I was going.  I had my shirt off to enjoy the sun, but unfortunately, the picture showed an unpleasant sight.  What do they call it today?  A muffin top?  Love handles?  Not good by any name and I can't remember where I put that picture!  That was my first motivation in a long time to get out more often and exercise!  In Florida, I ran more than I did in Tennessee, but it was hard to lose the added weight!  In 2000, I moved to the New York/New Jersey area, a move that would soon ignite my old passion of running.

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment