Sunday, April 3, 2011

Breaking 3:10:00

There was a time when my goal is to one day break 3:10:59.  Why?  It’s the time the youngest age group (18 – 34) needs in order to qualify for Boston.  I’m in the 3rd age group (40 – 44) needing a 3:20: 59 or better and currently qualify in the 2nd age group (35 – 39) needing a 3:15:59 or better.  A couple of months ago, the Boston Athletic Associate, in response to the Boston Marathon registration period closing in just over eight hours, tightened the qualifying standards.  They took off five minutes in each age group, took the 59 second grace period and will institute a “rolling admission” for 2013.  The rolling admission is like a wave start for big marathons.  A runner will have to run 20 minutes faster than their qualifying time standard in order to register on the 1st day, 15 minutes or better in order to register on the 3rd day, five minutes or better to register on the 5th day.  All others will register on the 8th day.  However, for 2012, the time standards will remain unchanged, but the BAA will institute the rolling admission.  For my Chicago Marathon time last year, that puts me in the 3rd day to register.  It could be sold out by then!   I’ve been close a couple of times of qualifying in the youngest age group.
I ran my fastest marathon in Philadelphia on November 23, 2008 with a time of 3:11:43 and I tried unsuccessfully to break 3:10:59 since then.  I ran Boston in 2009 (3:22:48), New York City in 2009 (3:18:42) and Boston in 2010 (3:13:31).  I had another shot in Chicago on October 10, 2010.  My training was great and I even thought that the stars were aligned to break 3:10:59.  Why?  The date.  It was 10.10.10.  Three 10’s or 3:10 was meant to happen. 
The temperature at the start of the Chicago Marathon was 67 degrees!  I did my best during the first 18 miles where buildings blocked much of the sun’s rays.  But towards the end in the south side of Chicago, there were few buildings to provide shade as the temps rose to almost 80!  I was on track to finish in 3:08, but the heat got the best of me and I struggled in the last three miles and crossed the finish line in 3:11:58, less than a minute short of my goal.
With that unsuccessful attempt, I accepted the fact that it would be some time before I can break 3:10:59 as that was before the new Boston qualifying times.  Now it’s 3:10:00.  After Chicago, I looked forward to Boston, but even that would be a daunting task to break 3:10:00.  After all, it’s Boston.  Even though it’s generally downhill for the first 16 miles, it’s the Newton Hills that would more than likely prevent me from breaking 3:10:59.  Besides, my fastest time for Boston is 3:15:13, which was in 2008, but I sometimes jokingly tell my wife that if I ever break 3:10 in Boston, I’ll retire!  So I look more into the future for the fall marathon, which is the Niagara Falls International Marathon.  It’s relatively flat and is the best chance for me to break 3:10:00.
So essentially, runners need more than just a “BQ” (Boston Qualifier).  We need to add D1, D3, D5 or AO after BQ.  D1 is for Day 1 and so on.  AO is for “All Others”.  Of course, I just made that up, but I think it’ll catch on to something more than just BQ.  Now my goal is BQD1!

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment