Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Marathon Weekend

                                            
My wife and I drove to New Hampshire on Saturday and stayed with our cousins.  It was great spending time with family before the race.  We drove down to Boston the next morning to attend the American Cancer Society's DetermiNation Endurance Team Brunch at Tommy Doyle Irish Pub in Cambridge.  We had the opportunity to meet the team and find that we raised more than $42,000 to help find better cancer treatments and hoepfully in our lifetime, a cure.  We met Chelsea Anderson and her father, Dean.  It so happened that we bumped into them more often than any others on the team.  Maybe it's because they sat across from us, maybe God had something to do with it or both!  We also met teammates like Katy Meagher, Charlie Johnston, Matt West, Jill Hinrichs Clarke, Noel Wells, and Kim Chambers just to name a few.  We also had the pleasure of meeting the marathon training mentor, Geoff Smith, who won the Boston Marathon twice (1984 and 1985).

We then drove to Hynes Convention Center to pick up my race number and marathon goody bag as well as a goody bag from the DetermiNation booth.  We roamed around the huge expo as we sample some of the energy bars and drinks.  I limited myself and only tried the ones I knew won't affect me come race day.




Our highlight of the expo was meeting Rick and Dick Hoyt!  We bought their inspiring book and Dick Hoyt autographed it for us!  We also took picutres with them!  How cool was that!







We also met Josh Cox, U.S. 50k American Record Holder.  He runs along Ryan Hall during their training and in one of the runners who inspire me to continue running.






We strolled the mall near the expo and had a late lunch at Cheesecake Factory.  I had the spaghetti with meat sauce and my wife had the seared ahi tuna salad.  Then we drove to our friend's apartment who was kind enough to let us stay for the night while he was on vacation.  What an awesome place to relax before the marathon and to recover afterwards!

Before we went to sleep, I ate udon and drank another bottle of Ensure Plus.  I think I was all "carbo-ed out" by then!

Always a Runner...

No comments:

Post a Comment